Thursday, September 20, 2007

Solidarity

I must say, it really warmed my heart to see so many of my brothers & sisters dressed in their best black outfits today. This was such an important day in our history books, and I was just proud. Whenever I saw someone dressed in black we gave each other a look in the eyes, a smile, and we continued our walk to destinations only known to each of us.

I saw races other than blacks wearing their black clothing as well. I do have a confession to make: while at lunch with a coworker, we both wondered aloud if those who weren't of African American decent and were wearing black were wearing it for the same reason that we were. Now, I know that this thought should not have crossed my mind, but I honestly couldn't help it. Actually, neither of us could help it. While we sat in the window of the fast food place eating our lunch, we talked about people as they walked by and we contemplated their reasoning for wearing black. It seems like we automatically knew of the reason for Black folks wearing black, but what were other people's reasons?

Were they taking a stand against the racial inequality going down in Jena? Or, was it the last of their clean suits in their closets and they simply had nothing else to wear?

Whatever their reason, whatever ANYONE'S reason...I was still happy! I was on the verge of tears a few times. Even my fellow bloggers who are as far away as Texas and the Bahamas were wearing black today. I just felt so damn proud!
Our family decended upon Jena, La. today and made a HUGE statement! In a peaceful, NON-VIOLENT protest, they made a statement. As I'm sitting here listening to The Michael Baisden show, Mychal Bell's father just finished talking and he said there's a strong possibility that Mychal will be out of jail tomorrow by noon, CST. I cried. While our fight is no where near over, WE ARE BEING HEARD!!! WE ARE BEING HEARD!!! WE ARE BEING HEARD!!!!!!!!!!!

I've always been PROUD of being a black woman! But I'll be damned if I'm not ECSTATIC today. If you could just feel the joy in my heart..........MY GOD!!!

~Traycee~

1 comment:

blackoil69 said...

well ms.jackson,i'm glad your back.looking forward to more wisdom and insight.keep me posted and up to date on whats real in the field.not to mention we keep in touch anyway.lol.i feel so special.later.