Thursday, March 5, 2009

Helping Jasmina


Hey everyone!

You know, I must be honest with you. There's a lot going on in my personal life. However, all of that got pushed aside when I heard of Jasmina's story. I do have to admit, I was a little slow to act. Well, I don't know, maybe not. I first read about Jasmina about a month ago when I read an article at People.com. I saw the video that her best friend made pleading for everyone's help. It tore at every single ounce of my being. It literally brought me to tears.

Jasmina Amena is a 6-year old girl who was diagnosed on January 20, 2009 with a rare form of Leukemia. She is in dire need of a bone marrow transplant and without it, doctors are giving her approximately 2-months to live.

So, I went online and requested a Bone Marrow Donor kit. It took approximately two weeks to arrive at my door and I couldn't be happier. I followed the simple steps and did a cheek swab so that I could be tested to see if I was a match. I verified all of my information, and mailed it back. I'm praying that I'm a match for Jasmina. Oh, she is such a precious little girl!!!

Even though I have yet to meet her, I feel like I've known her since she was born. When I see her picture, I see every young child in my family in her eyes. And boy oh boy does she have some big, beautiful eyes. I cried yesterday when looking at her picture because it hurts so much to think that she may not be here much longer if she doesn't find a donor.

I was online until about 1:30AM last night because I couldn't sleep and I just kept researching different things for Jasmina - trying to figure out how I can help her........and quite possibly, others just like her. SO, before I went to bed last night, I made up my mind to help her more than just by giving a cheek swab. I've contacted DKMS and am awaiting contact from them so that I can set up a donor drive. I've been posting blogs (as you can see) and sending numerous emails to help spread the word about her cause. My only hope and prayer is that the donor drive doesn't come too late for Jasmina.

I ask you - what are YOU going to do to help Jasmina? What CAN you do to help Jasmina? Can you look at her face and look into those eyes and not have it tug at your heart?!

This Saturday, March 7th from 10AM - 2PM, there will be a donor drive at the following location. If you live in NYC or have friends or family that live there, PLEASE get out there and get your cheek swabbed! It's not everyday that you can do something to save someone's life. I AM ON A MISSION...how about you?!

Public School 41
116 W 11th St
New York, NY


Click here to see the video that Jasmina's friend, Isabelle, made for her.

*Above image (Isabelle and Jasmina) taken from here

Sources:
www.oneforjasmina.com
www.dkmsamericas.org
www.people.com

No comments: