Wednesday, July 4, 2007

More than just entertainers

I made my usual visit to BlackReport.com today, and saw a link to an MSNBC article about hip hop entertainers who have capitalized on their fame. I must say, it does make me proud AND happy to know that they have ventured outside of music…because in my opinion, hip hop is on a fast spiral downward (but that’s another blog). Most people, when they see rappers, they see the thug that they portray to be. But, for the Jay-Z’s, the 50 Cent’s, the Diddy’s, and even the Nelly’s…they used their fame to make them richer than rich. I mean, these guys are turning into business moguls!

This article mentioned other names I hadn’t even heard of: Checliss Rice (Big C) and Reed Baker. Now, these people aren’t on Jay-Z or 50 Cent’s level, but they are definitely working hard to join them. Shoot, I’m quite sure that Jay-Z and 50 Cent had no idea way back in their hustling days that they would one day be compared to Bill Gates and Warren Buffett (as pointed out in this article). Neither of these gentlemen earned hip hop success like the above named rappers. However, they used the foot they got them into the hip hop community’s door and worked the hell out of it.

Mr. Rice capitalized on the merchandising portion of hip hop, starting with making jerseys; and Mr. Baker is expanding his production business by “providing lavish entertainment, complete with a DJ, for events ranging from corporate gatherings to weddings.”

To read this article and see how Mr. Rice started his business, it seems so easy. But, one has to wonder, is it really that easy? I’m not sure, but I’ll be damned if I sit by without trying to find out.

There were a few things this article pointed out: “Sell customers an image, not a product…and Diversify.” Have a read; it’s a really good and informative article.

http://www.blackreport.com/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19586980/


~Traycee~

1 comment:

Adwanes said...

This is an excellent access of information. A descriptive content and an amusing blog. Looking forward for suggestions on making worth-reading blog such as yours. Thanks and a job well done for you.
halifax dj for events