Friday, June 15, 2007

Where's Stepha Henry? Do we REALLY not matter?

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/crime_scene/2007/06/paris.html

OK, here's my biggest pet peeve. This may seem a bit harsh, but this is how I feel. If I hurt anyone's feelings...oh well. I'm far from a racist, but come on...fair is fair.

Whenever there's a missing person that makes nationwide news, it's a blond haired, blue eyed white woman. Let me ask you, have you heard of the latest missing BLACK person? Her name is Stepha Henry. She's 22 yrs old, a recent college graduate from John Jay Criminal College, and she's been missing since Memorial Day weekend. The link above gives a story of how her story was bumped from MSNBC's broadcast lineup to feature a GOT DAYUM story on a LOCKED UP Paris Hilton.

Ms. Henry traveled from Brooklyn, NY to Miami, FL for the Memorial Day holiday to visit her aunt, like she did every year. The night she disappeared, she was being picked up from a friend (unknown to her family & friends) to go to a club before she was to return home the next day.

I'm not going to go into a long winded diatribe about how we don't get enough media attention when something happens in our community. I just want you to pass the word out that this young lady, a future lawyer, is missing. Her family & friends miss her. I don't even know her, and I miss her. I want her to get the same media frenzy as that spoiled brat Paris, but that isn't going to happen. SO, if I can do my little part and spread the word by posting a blog on MySpace, then so be it. Please send out links to my blog so others can get the word out as well. The link above, and the link below, gives a picture of Ms. Henry. Additionally, the link below actually gives background information on the case.

http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/130052.html

I want to end this on a final note: Know who your friends are. Let your family & friends know where you are. Remember when your parents always questioned you about where you were going. Times were nearly as bad then as they are now. Let SOMEONE know where you are, and call them when you get there.

Be safe out there, and watch your back!

Your thoughts and comments...

~Traycee~

1 comment:

jaylei said...

I completely agree with you... the media is constantly margenalizing people of color...they do it in such a subtle way that people of color don't even realize that it's happening!!